We all know that exercising aids in weight loss/control, and it contributes to a healthy living… but what else, exactly?
- Exercise boots your energy level. If you find yourself sleepy throughout the day even though you’ve slept and eaten enough, then the one thing you might be lacking is exercise. Exercising delivers oxygen and nutrients to your tissues, and it helps your entire cardiovascular system (blood circulation through heart and blood vessel) to work more efficiently; which gives you more energy.
- Exercise promotes better sleep. Ever heard of insomnia? Sleep apnea? You bet! Almost everyone experiences it at least few times. And one of the leading causes might be a lack of exercise. Exercises can help you fall asleep faster and deepen your sleep. (BUT here’s the thing, if you exercised too close to bedtime, you may be too energized to fall asleep. Give it at least 4 hours in between).
- Exercise stimulates the formation of new brain cells... and researchers found that the areas of brain that are stimulated through exercise are responsible for memory and learning. Therefore, when you exercise regularly, you’re gonna find yourself having better performance in problem solving, decision-making process and memory.
- Do you want to be able to feel better about yourself? To have an improved body image? To be less anxious? To have higher self-esteem? If you do, do exercise! ;)
- Mood swings? Try exercising, because exercise improves your mood. It is a natural and powerful antidepressant; the antidepressant effect of a regular exercise is comparable to powerful antidepressant like Zoloft. So why not just try exercising?
We all know spinach is a good source of iron, and it contains many health benefits… BUT, do we all know the side effect from eating spinach?
Spinach = Calcium Blocker.
Despite how good it tastes, guess we gotta go easy on it. When you eat spinach with other foods, the total amount of calcium that you could have absorbed are interfered by this oxalic acid in spinach; and thus, many amounts of calcium from other foods and the spinach itself go to waste.
Here’s the good news, there are many vegetables that can give you as much as nutrition:
- Bok Choy
- Chinese Cabbage
Sometimes you just miss eating spinach… Guess that’d be fine! You still can eat spinach occasionally, preferably by itself, so you won’t waste the calcium from other foods… And get your calcium daily intake later on ;)
…not for daily make-up! Though it makes your skin oh-so-flawless, too much of it gonna clog your pores. So skip it when you’re going to school, work, malls, etc. If you got some acne, pat on some concealers — yes, pat it on. You do NOT rub concealers on your acne; because that way’s gonna halve your concealer’s “magic” :D
However, let concealer be your last resort! Again, cosmetics should complement your beauty, not covering your flaws! Read about how you can get a naturally beautiful skin: beauty sleep, choose the right ingredients! and drink to beauty!
Patricia Neal (January 20, 1926 – August 8, 2010)
“A strong positive mental attitude will create more miracles than any wonder drug.”
Deep sleep may truly be beauty sleep. During a deep sleep, your body releases growth hormones that work to repair and rebuild body cells; your body works hard to rejuvenate tissues through a peak of cell division at around 2am.
Our body was designed to sync with the cycles of nature, including daylight and darkness, with the optimal time for sleep at 10pm or 11pm. This is the time when melatonin, the sleep hormone, comes out: getting rid of free radicals, repairing damage, and keeping your skin supple and healthy.
THERE’S NO BEAUTY SLEEP AFTER MIDNIGHT!
What would happen if you lack of beauty sleep?
- Body fat percentage is negatively affected
- Risk of chronic disease
- More unnecessary wrinkles that could have been reduced if you have enough beauty sleep
- Brain activities that control emotions, decision-making processes and social interactions are reduced
- Increased abdominal fat
- Excess stress hormone
How to get your beauty sleep?
- Get to bed at 10pm or 11pm
- Exercise everyday, even 20 minutes a day helps
- Avoid large meals before bed. You don’t want an active digestive system to disrupt your sleep
- Keep regular hours for sleeping and waking — in other words, make this your habit
Enjoy your beauty sleep — you’ll love it! :)
To put it bluntly, beautiful eyes are healthy eyes! If you’re eyes are unhealthy, no make up can make them look truly good.
Someone wrote: “Healthy eyes are those with clear whites, and the iris is bright and the lids are not granulated. Healthy eyes move easily and lend animation to the whole face.”
Honestly, I love to go natural.
I think eyes are very delicate; I wouldn’t dare to put some chemical drops just to get rid of the redness, or etc… Unless, if it’s an eye medication, of course (>_<)
Few simple habits to beautify your eyes:
- Don’t stare on the computer screen for too long. Let your eyes rest.
- When you read, make sure you have adequate amount of lighting — not too much, not too less.
- Get your beauty sleep! Yes, the quantity does matter, but the time when you start sleeping matters as well.
- Go on a detox. I really couldn’t stress this more. After you went on a good detox, you’ll see your eyes brighter — it sparkles, literally. A sign of true health from within.
Let make-up complements your beauty, not covers up your flaw.
Simplest make-up trick to make your beautiful eyes come out even more:
- Eyeliner/Eye definer
These two should do the magic for a natural, everyday look :)
If you would like something more, there are so many good make-up tutorials all over the net. My favs are Bubzbeauty’s, Catalina’s, Kandee Johnson’s, Miss Jessica Harlow’s channels…and so on
P.S. You gotta appear well-groomed as well, so trimmed your eye brows! ;)
P.P.S. It’s not a lie when one said ‘eyes are the windows to your soul’ — have confidence and be happy! It’s shown. You could even feel the difference how your eyes sparkled when you’re clothed with those two! xx
Okay, sit tight, get your favorite products (i.e. lotion, make-ups, shampoo, cream, shaving creams, etc) and check these out:
1) Coal tar
- Anti-dandruff agent, cosmetic biocide, denaturant
- Used to treat eczema, psoriasis and other skin disorders — can be found in anti-itch creams and scalp treatments.
- It is a known carcinogen; has a cancer inducing potential.
- Treatment with this has been discouraged; and it was banned by the European Union in 1997, and by Germany in 1995 due to its toxic effects.
- Side effects:
- Skin become more sensitive to ultraviolet light
- Could lead to skin atrophy
- Thinning of skin
- Skin discoloration
2) Diethanolamine (DEA)
- Used in facial moisturizer/treatment, sunscreen, anti-fungal treatment, styling gel, facial cleanser, etc. Also, a lathering agent in soaps and shampoos.
- Can react with other chemicals in products to create a carcinogen readily absorbed into the skin. (For example, DEA can combine with amines present in cosmetic formulations to form nitrosamines, which are known to be highly carcinogenic)
- Present in other forms as well:
- Cocamide DEA
- Oleamide DEA
- Lauramide DEA
- Side effects:
- Acute inhalation can result in nose and throat irritation
- Dermal exposure may result in skin irritation
- Could cause severe eye irritation
- In 1999, FDA released information on a study that showed DEA to be carcinogenic
- Used in nail treatment products, nail polish, styling gel/lotion, eyelash glue, tissue, preservatives in foods, etc
- Side effects:
- Eyes, nose, skin and throat irritation
- Throat and the interior of nose may feel raw and sore
- Eyes may begin to feel as if there is something grainy resting against each eyeball
- Coughing and breathing problems may be present
- People with formaldehyde allergy are also likely to develop skin rashes when come in contact with this substance
- Skin may appear burn, develop welts or become dry and cracked. There is a possibility of scarring
- Skin lightening and hardening
- Dry out skin
- With repeated exposure, formaldehyde could cause asthma and cancer
- Constant exposure may negatively impact respiratory systems, leading to pain when attempting to breathe
- Leads to the creation of lesions in the respiratory system and cause damage to lungs that may not be reversible
- Shortness of breath
- Lung and nose cancer
- Inhalation has been shown to cause…
- decrease in performance
- lack of concentration
- loss of memory
- disturbed sleep
- impaired balance
- mood swings
- increased sexual arousal
- disorganized thoughts
- decreased attention span
- psychomotor agitation
- up-regulation of sympathetic nervous system
- Oral exposure has been found to cause lethargy, seizure and loss of consciousness
- Exposure to embalming fluid can result in…
- body tissue destruction
- brain and lung damage
- impaired coordination
- inflammation in esophagus
- Banned in Europe, Japan, etc
- Check this out: http://www.short-hair-style.com/keratin-formaldehyde-side-effects-the-truth.html
- Used in antiperspirant/deodorant, liquid hand soap, facial cleanser, toothpaste, lipstick, acne treatment, eye shadow, body wash/cleanser, tooth whitening, etc
- Triclosan kills bacteria at first, however, prominent bacterias become resistant to it pretty quickly. These bacterias that have been resistant to triclosan, most likely, have become resistant to antibiotics as well.
- Triclosan stores itself in fat — this chemical is accumulated in your body.
- Can become contaminated with dioxin, a known carcinogen, during the manufacturing process.
- Skin irritation as a result of triclosan exposure; moreover, there are more subtle health risks:
- weakening of immune system
- decreased fertility
- altered sex hormones
- birth defects
- Triclosan is also an anti-hypertensive which is used to treat high blood pressure. It is also used in topical form to treat hair loss. Side effects of this medication can include… Read more: http://www.healthsofa.com/medications/triclosan
- Use of triclosan has been restricted in Canada, Japan, and many European countries. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) announced on Thursday, April 8, 2010 Recent scientific studies have raised “valid concerns” over the safety of the chemical, with animal studies showing triclosan’s potential to affect the thyroid hormone and estrogen levels, as well as lead to antibiotic resistance and a lessened ability to treat infection… Read more: http://www.drugwatch.com/news/2010/04/09/fda-concerned-safety-antibacterial-chemical-soaps-hand-sanitizers/
…to be continued~~
…to my previous post. For those who were wondering how could salt work on acne, it’s about the simple water movement you learned in high school! Let me refresh you a bit :)
What happened when you put some salt solution on your acne is a classic hypertonic solution. Now if there were bacteria in a surrounding where salt is the solute (which makes the concentration higher outside of the bacteria cell than the inside) the water would diffused out of the bacterial cell (water leaves the bacterial cell), causing the cell to shrivel and die.
…and that’s how salt works killing the bacteria that lead to acne! :)
Next post: Secret #1